Friday, April 13, 2012

Perfect BBQ Chicken Recipe


Although grilling activities normally crank up with the warmer days of spring, I have been cooking this chicken all winter long.  It is extremely cheap and easy, and I don't think I have ever had a piece of juicier, more delicious chicken.  I must admit- this recipe does not come to me from the state of Virginia.  I was taught this magical way of preparing chicken from a softball teammate who spent his college years at Ole Miss where he claims this chicken was a tailgate special.  I know what you are thinking, and I too was reluctant to trust in any words of wisdom passed to me from the state of Mississippi.  However, after trying this chicken for the first time, I quickly realized that a good ol' boy from the deep south could teach me a few things about a chicken and a grill.  I now pass on to you the secret of perfect BBQ chicken.

The list of ingredients is short and sweet: chicken, extra virgin olive oil, Cajun seasoning, and BBQ sauce.  I personally think that dark meat is a lot more moist than white meat and tends to grill better.  I started grilling legs (as they were the original form prepared for me), then moved to thighs, and then finally to the quarter chicken combo of the two.  I know some of you females (at least one in particular) are squeamish when it comes to picking meat off of a bone.  I have not tried this recipe with chicken breasts, but I'm sure it would turn out just fine.  Breasts just need a little extra care when it comes to not overcooking and drying them out!  For first timers, I would suggest thighs.  It also really doesn't matter what Cajun seasoning or BBQ sauce you use.  I have been using Louisiana brand Cajun Seasoning, although Slap Ya Mama sounds a little more fun and will probably be next when I run out of what I have.  This time I used simple, cheap, Kraft Thick N' Spicy Honey BBQ sauce but any of your favorites will work.  So any kind of chicken, seasoning, and sauce- easy enough right?  The tricks to making this chicken unbeatable are in the preparation details.


While your grill is warming to medium-high heat, lay out enough aluminum foil to set your chicken on with enough extra to curl up around the edges to make a bowl-like shape.  I also recommend doubling up with two sheets.  Set the chicken in the foil coating both sides of the chicken and the foil with olive oil.  Next, sprinkle both sides of the chicken liberally with the Cajun seasoning.  The foil and chicken are now ready to place on the grill.  The chicken should be positioned skin side down when it is first placed on the grill!  This simple tip is going to be one of your major keys to success.  Placing the skin down to start ensures that the olive oil is sufficient enough so that the skin does not stick to the foil.  Enjoy your favorite cold beverage as your chicken cooks in a bath of olive oil, seasoning, and, most importantly, its own juices.  Expect to hear wonderful crackling noises and the glorious smell of cooking meat as the fat from the skin begins to form a nice, crispy layer on the bottom of the chicken.  Once the skin reaches a nice golden-brown color, flip the chicken and allow it to cook for an equal amount of time on the other side* (see note on time below).  You want to try to only flip the chicken once in the foil.  I usually use tongs to peak under the  pieces to make sure my timing is just right.  It is absolutely imperative that you do not poke any holes in the foil during the flip!  Doing so will send all of those delicious juices straight to the bottom of the grill.  Not only does losing your juices drastically decrease the delicious flavors that you are trying to infuse in your chicken, but it can also cause nasty flair ups that cause your chicken to cook too quickly.  Having successfully flipped your chicken and allowing it to cook on both sides in the foil, it is now time for phase two.

While in the foil, throw the BBQ sauce to the top side of the chicken.  Feel free to be extremely generous with the sauce.  Using tongs, remove the chicken from the foil and place it directly on the grill- sauce side down of course.  At this point, the chicken should be almost completely cooked and you just want to leave it on the grill long enough to produce a nice char of BBQ sauce.  While this char is forming on the grate side of the chicken, slather sauce on the other side.  Again, you want to try to flip the chicken only once during this step.  That's it!  After both sides have been grilled with sauce you are ready to enjoy the best chicken you will ever eat.  As shown above, I try to grill some type of vegetable with my meat; in this case, asparagus.  Any kind of starch will create a nice complete dish, and I suggest mashed potatoes or rice.  This chicken could not have been more tender and juicy and the asparagus was extremely fresh- both coming from farms in the surrounding area.  I hope you enjoy this beautifully simple, yet flawless, way of barbecuing chicken!

*I never time anything when grilling.  I feel that having a schedule goes against the entire mindset one should have while grilling.  When asked how long something should be grilled I will usually answer "until it's done."  You should learn how to judge how well meat is cooked both by sight and by feeling the firmness of the cut.  This skill will also eliminate the heinous act of butchery a beautiful piece of meat with a knife or spatula side while it is on the grill!  Also, please do yourself a favor and DON'T OVERCOOK YOUR MEAT!!!  Almost nothing, besides chicken, should be cooked done or well done.  If you are eating your beef, pork, or venison well-done, you are missing out on some of the better things the world has to offer!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Definitely will give this recipe a try soon. Uncle Sheldon.

    ReplyDelete